Tuesday, March 22, 2011

To Serve a King by Donna Russo Morin

Donna Russo Morin's novel To Serve a King is a novel of François I, Hnery VIII and the intrigue that surrounds them. The book opens at the Field of Gold, where a horrible accident occurs, leaving an orphan Genevieve Gravois to be raised as an assassin with looks to kill. Genevieve is sent to François court to be a lady-in-waiting to Anne de Pisseleu d'Heilly, Duchess of Étampes and Mistress to the King. Anne matches François in wit, and both soon learn to love Genevieve, their violet eyed courtier.But Genevieve guards her heart, which only serves her true king, Henry.While trying to devise her plan, Genevieve falls in love with the Scottish Guardsman, Sebastien. But what are his true intentions? Genevieve accompanies Anne to meet Henry VIII and finally sees her true King, and another mysterious creature. When Genevieve is forced to choose her destiny, will she be able to complete her lifelong mission?
I loved this book! Genevieve is a lovely character. The courtiers who affect Genevieve's life seem just what I imagine life at any court to be. I liked that Morin not only brought in the French Drama, but she lightly played up the drama between Charles Brandon, Cromwell and Henry over his marriage to Anne of Cleves. I will admit, I have never been a fan of Anne de Pusseleu d'Heilly. She always seemed to be, well, overdone. Not because of the authors, but because of her. Donna painted her in a favorable light, and I can see that Duchess of Étampes. I am however, a Diane de Pointers and Henri II fan. I knew that they were cliqueish, and this book reaffirms that. Poor Catherine. What a drag!!!
All in all, I loved this book. It even made me cry a little. Shhh. Don't tell that though!
I won this book from Amy at  Passages to the Past!!! Check her out!

2 comments:

  1. I've heard a lot of good about this novel. ^.^ It's on my to-read list. I hope i like it too!

    ReplyDelete