Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Godiva by Nicole Galland

Nicole Galland retells the classic tale of Lady Godiva and her infamous ride. Godiva is the much loved wife of Leofric, Earl of Mercia. Devoted to her husband, but a notorious flirt, Godiva incurs the wrath of the King. In his wrath, he gives Godiva two options, a high unfair taxation on her already starving people or a naked ride through Coventry, her hometown. With help from her best friend, Abbess Egdiva, Godiva must prepare to make the historic ride. This romantic tale is a delightful re- imagination of the famous woman. 

I was so excited to begin reading this book. I loved The Fool's Tale by Nicole Galland. Godiva was a strong and confident woman. I was easily drawn to her, like the characters in the book. I liked how Galland also portrayed her as noisy, and a bit of a chaos maker. I was also engrossed by Egdiva's story. The two women balanced each other, which made their connection feel real. I also liked how Galland portrayed the King as the villain, instead of Leofric. It made much more sense to a modern reader, and helped move the story along. I really enjoyed this book, and hope to read much more from Nicole Galland. 
Thank you to the publisher and Edelweiss for providing me with a review copy.


No comments:

Post a Comment