Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Borgia Betrayal by Sara Poole

A woman singing, a child crying. These are the nightmares that disturb Donna Francesca Giordano's nightly sleep. Sara Poole brings us back to life in the Vatican in this sequel to Poison. Francesca, still reeling from the events in the first book, is distraught to learn that the fanatical priest Morozzi is back in Rome with vengeance in his heart. Francesca has revenge in hers. After two failed attempts on her life, Francesca determines must bargain with both the devil and the Pope. Francesca's desire to kill Morozzi single handled has put her life in danger and leads her to make reckless decisions. Will Francesca succeed in avenging her father's death and finally be able to stop her nightmares?
I first read Poison when it first came out. I loved it so much when I heard that this book was coming out, I pre-ordered it. I NEVER do this. NEVER. (I have since pre-ordered The Song of the Nile and will be pre-ordering Kate Quinn's upcoming book.). It had been a while since I had been to the Vatican in Francesca's care, so I was a little worried that I wouldn't remember the happenings. Not to worry, I was immediately transported back. Its like I never left Francesca's side. The storyline flowed and was steady, just as I remembered.
I love Francesca, she is plucky and confident, but still unsure of herself in so many ways that it's easy to relate to her. I felt at home with her and the secondary characters. Poole is historically accurate in her descriptions of Cesare and the Pope. She even brings into the story other historic facts that are taking place. I like this because sometimes I focus so intently on one historic event I forget that it was related to another event taking place at the same time. I also love the triangle tension between Francesca and the two men of her life, Cesare and Rocco. One the man every woman wants, and the other the man every woman needs. I can't blame her for not being able to make up her mind.
This is a great book, and now that I have reviewed it, I might want to review Poison. Before you dive into this book, start with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment