Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Fire from Heaven by Mary Renault

Alexander the Great has been praised by many. But who was the boy before he was a man. Starting with Alexander's youngest years as a pawn between husband mother, Olympias and his father, Phillip, Renault tells Alexander's story. Sent to learn from Aristotle  with a group of teens who would become his friends, allies and brothers, Alexander is shaped to be different from his parents. Alexander may still be mortal, but his story is legendary.
This was my first Mary Renault book. I loved it, but it's highly  detailed storyline got a bit heavy at times. The action flowed well when action was called for and then turned introspective for a while. I found myself drawn to all the characters, including Alexander's parents. I really enjoyed this novel!

1 comment: