Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The Midwife of Venice by Roberta Rich

Hannah Levi is a Jewish midwife in the 16th century Venitian ghetto. Gifted in her art, she has developed a reputation for delivering stubborn babies with her birthing spoons. A mysterious stranger shows up on her doorstep begging help. The Conte is asking Hannah to help his wife, even though it against the law. To help is a huge risk, endangering the inhabitants of the ghetto, but the reward would free her beloved husband being held prisoner on Malta. Hannah helps, but soon the baby faces more danger after his parents succumb to the plague. Hannah must save the baby, and Isaac.

I found this gem at my local bookstore and loved the cover. Hannah was a loveable character who wanted to help above all. I found myself drawn to her story. Isaac's time on Malta wasn't as rich, but tied the story together. A great read. Stay tuned for my review of the sequel, The Harem Midwife.

No comments:

Post a Comment